Monday, January 25, 2016

Welcome to Kansas!!!

Hello friends and family! As you can tell my the title, I am now serving in Kansas! I have been transferred to serve in the Overland Park 2nd ward and the Shawnee Mission YSA! I've always wanted to serve in Overland Park AND in a YSA and I got BOTH!!! I am so happy to be where I'm at! My new companion's name is Sister Fuhriman. She is from Arizona (my first non Utah companion!) and she is 25 years old and she is an incredible artist! She has a painting in the Mesa Visitor's Center!!! It's so fun being her companion! 

It was kind of hard to leave the Visitor's Center, but being out in a full pros area is so much fun! We have so much time and I love it! Wednesday night, Sister Wilkey and I had dinner with Doris, and that was really hard saying bye to her and her family. 
Saying goodbye to Doris and her family  :(

Picture with the VC sisters on the last night together.  (Please forgive all the crying faces)


The work is BOOMING since I got here to Overland Park! Between when I arrived on Thursday night and now, we have gotten 8 new investigators and put 4 people on baptism date!!! SO INSANE! I love this! 

We are working with this family, who I know that I was transferred here to meet them, and they are incredible! It is the Mojica family! They are from Puerto Rico and it's a part member family. Brother Mojica (George) has been a member for about 10 years. He has one daughter, Lorena, who has been a member for about 17 years and she is married with a kid and they are all members. George has two other daughters, Leia and Gigi, who are not members and we are working with them. We are also teaching Leia's three kids- Valorie, Erica, and Cassandra. I LOVE THIS FAMILY! We have been with them every day since I have been here and they are progressing so well! All of them are on baptism date except for Erica.

We took them to the Visitor's Center last night and they loved it! Before, Leia, Cassandra, and Valorie were the only ones on date, and after we went through God's Plan, Gigi said that she wants to get baptized on June 15, the year mark of when their mother died. The spirit is always so strong when we are with them! They're an incredible family! 
The Mojica family at the Visitor's Center!  (My beautiful companion, Sister Fuhriman is on the end!)


At the YSA ward yesterday, a recent convert named Daniel, brought a non member friend! Her name is Ashley and she is so interested in learning! She LOVED church! She said her favorite part of the whole thing was the blessing on the sacrament. INCREDIBLE! The sacrament is so special and there is a special spirit as we partake of the sacrament. 

Sister Fuhriman and I have just been doing a lot of finding and we have some really promising people! It's so exciting! Being a missionary is just so amazing and I love it so much! 

Also! Wednesday, we had a worldwide missionary broadcast and it was AMAZING! The focus was on teaching repentance and baptizing converts. There were some amazing talks given by Elder Maxwell, Elder Bednar, Elder Oaks and some others as well. I am so grateful for my calling and that not only the bretheren, but the Lord trusts me with this calling! Something that Elder Oaks said was that NOW is the time for members and missionaries to come together! As members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, we all are missionaries! We all are part of the Lord's work! We all are commanded to spread the gospel and proclaim the good news! (D&C 88:81). The doctrine of Christ is where we get the motivation. As we engrave the doctrine of Christ (faith in Jesus Christ, repentance, baptism, the gift of the Holy Ghost, and endure to the end) on our hearts, then we will all WANT to share the gospel! 
Just a little goofing around at the broadcast #raytownforever


I am so grateful for this time that I have to serve the Lord. I am learning so much here than I could ever ask for. I truly love my mission and everything it's teaching me. My favorite scripture helps me everyday, especially through the hard times- D&C 123:17 "Therefore dearly beloved bretheren, let us CHEERFULLY do all things that lie in our power, and then may we stand still with the utmost assurance to see the salvation of God and for His arm to be revealed." Let us CHEERFULLY do everything He asks us to do. That's when the spirit dwells with us, when we are cheerful and willing to submit to His will :) I love you all so much!! 



Saying goodbye to the Toronto's-the VC directors


The Sauni/Zollar family

No comments:

Post a Comment