Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Why?

Some might ask why would I willingly give up 18 months of my life, leave my family and friends, put my education on hold, and go serve a mission, especially since it isn't required of me. Well, as I mentioned in my previous post, I received a direct prompting that this is what I am supposed to do in my life. But I also want to serve! 
Why do I want to? 
As the hymn 'Because I Have Been Given Much' says: Because I have been given much, I too must give. My feelings are perfectly summed up by Alma 26:16 which reads, "Therefore, let us glory, yea, we will glory in the Lord; yea, we will rejoice, for our joy is full; yea, we will praise our God forever. Behold, who can glory too much in the Lord? Yea, who can say too much of his great power, and of his mercy, and of his long-suffering towards the children of men? Behold, I say unto you, I cannot say the smallest part which I feel." I have been blessed beyond measure through this gospel. It has brought me more happiness and joy to my life than anything else. And all that I have good in my life is because of the gospel of Jesus Christ. My family, my faith, my friends, my testimony, my blessings...all are accounted for because this great church. 
And because I have been blessed immensely, why wouldn't I want to share that with those who don't have this happiness in their lives?! There is nothing more than I want than for everyone to feel the happiness that this gospel brings. And what better way to do that than to serve a mission? For 18 months, I will be devoting all of my time to bringing the good message of Jesus Christ into people's lives and watch miracles take place with faith. When I opened my call and read Independence, I knew exactly then that someone there needs me specifically and I can't wait to introduce the source of true and everlasting happiness and joy to the people of Missouri. 
Everyday I get and more and more excited to go! I don't know how much more excited I can get...I can't wait! I have 71 more days... I am so ready to just go and do this work. I know it won't be easy, but I am more excited about this than anything that's happened to me. Reading in Alma 29 made me even more excited! Verses 9 and 10 say, "I know that which the Lord hath commanded me, and I glory in it. I do not glory of myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring some soul to repentance; and this is my joy. And behold, when I see many of my brethren truly penitent, and coming to the Lord their God, then is my soul filled with joy; then do I remember what the Lord has done for me; yea, even that he auth heard my prayer; yea, then do I remember his merciful arm which he extended towards me." I am literally going to be His hand here on earth to bring back His lost sheep. I can't explain the immense joy I feel every time I think about Missouri and going to save those souls who are lost and bringing the light of Christ into their lives. The light will always outshine the dark and it will always bring more joy and blessings than any other way of life. 

Also, if you want to learn more about the LDS faith, visit Mormon.org to read about members all around the world. My profile is found at: http://www.mormon.org/me/H2DV

No comments:

Post a Comment